Welcome to ChimataMusic Discussion Board
Let us keep all the Telugu Melodies Alive through Healthy Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two “inappropriate” songs in ANR’s five-decade long career

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ChimataMusic DB Forum Index -> Actors, Producers and Directors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suryaprakash Mothiki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Two “inappropriate” songs in ANR’s five-decade long career Reply with quote

In one of the television interviews, ANR mentioned that he had to object to the filming of already-recorded songs. He faced this kind of problem only twice in his five-decade long career.

Tatineni Chalapathi Rao composed “Niluvave vaalukanuladaanaa..” for Illarikam. This song was rendered by Ghantasala. The hero in the movie, singing this number, was to tease his wife. ANR felt that this song was in bad taste, obviously, anticipating resentment from his women fans. Though he initially refused to perform to this song, he later relented to the director’s counsel. He was happy when this song was well received by the audience.

Unknown to the outside people, it seems that there was an earlier version to “Manasu gathi inthe…” recorded by K.V.Mahadevan for Prema Nagar in Ghantasala’s voice. ANR felt that this song did not reflect the gloomy state of the hero at the situation. It is not clear whether the problem was the lyric, the tune or poor briefing of the scene by the director. We have S.P.Balasubrahmanyam and ANR on stage when this anecdote was referred to in a MAA TV program. It seems that Mahadevan failed to understand the scene properly where we find the hero in a heartbreaking condition. The lyric tuned by Mahadevan was totally unrelated to the scene. The recorded song was rather on a gay note making a mockery of the hero’s tight spot. Strangely enough, none in the team recognised the flaw until ANR brought it to their notice. After listening to ANR’s convincing opinion, the entire team of the movie was stunned. Subsequently, the present “Manasu gathi inthe…” in Ghantasala’s voice was recorded. I did not know about this episode until ANR spoke on this in a recent music program on the former MAA-TV.

Manasu gathi inthe…” recorded by K.V.Mahadevan in Ghantasala’s voice for Prema Nagar is a one of our most loved and meaningful songs. Strange things do happen!
Surya
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the information Suryaprakash garu!

Many leading Heroes and Heroines had a big say in the production of their films that deprived or delayed many talented artists from being successful.

According to S.Janaki, one of her best songs 'nee leela padeda deva...' from Muripinche muvvalu was refused by Savitri, the heroine of that film. She wanted the song to be re-recorded with another singer for her to act that song. Music director SM Subbhaih Naidu blatantly opposed that and finally the song was picturised on another artist.

'Mallela vela allari vela...' song from Judagadu was supposed to be on Sobhan babu. Since SP was not available, the song was recorded by Chakravarti with G Anand on January 1st of that year. When SP came back and listened to the song, he felt that the song came out very well and it would be unfair on his part to sing that song again nullyfying the effort of G Anand. But Sobhan babu refused to act in that song and it had to be picturised on Sridhar. Another song was recorded for SB.

Probably if the respective leading artists had appreciated the efforts of the singers and sportively acted in those songs, the career graphs of those singers would definitely have been different!
schimata2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Prof Rao gAru..

Pl. keep sharing with us Smile I would request you ro come up with some weekly/monthly articles for your site visitors Smile I am eagerly awaiting your positive nod on this.

Cheers,
Srini
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
schimata2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surya wrote:
'Mallela vela allari vela...' song from Judagadu was supposed to be on Sobhan babu. Since SP was not available, the song was recorded by Chakravarti with G Anand on January 1st of that year. When SP came back and listened to the song, he felt that the song came out very well and it would be unfair on his part to sing that song again nullyfying the effort of G Anand. But Sobhan babu refused to act in that song and it had to be picturised on Sridhar. Another song was recorded for SB.

Surya.. I can understand Sobhan Babu's rigid resolution Very Happy Even fans like me can not digest Anand's voice for Sobhan Babu.

Another classic example is "chali chaligA undirA hOy rAmA" (from mA iddari katha) song sung by Rama Krshna for NTR. Though Rama Krishna did a good job, I still can not digest his voice in an NTR's romantic song.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Suryaprakash Mothiki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Surya:

What you have written is news to me.

It is rather surprising to know that Savitri objected to 'Nee leela padeda deva...’ rendered by S.Janaki for Muripinche Muvvalu. I read some time ago that music director S.M. Subbhaih Naidu was on a search for a suitable voice to render this great nadaswaram rendition containing all the nuances found in Carnatic music. It seems that Subbhaih Naidu approached P.Suseela, P.Leela and others. There is an unofficial version that Lata Mangeshkar, who initially agreed to render this song, did not want to place her image at stake. She was not confident of correct elucidation of the gamakas in sync with the nadaswaram.

We understand that P.Suseela recommended the name of S.Janaki to S.M. Subbhaih Naidu. S.Janaki rendered this classical number to perfection, and the rest is history.
Surya
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>We understand that P.Suseela recommended the name of S.Janaki to S.M. Subbhaih Naidu

According to S Janaki, it was P.Leela who recommended S.Janaki for that song.
NANDAKISHOR K

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In one of the television interviews, ANR mentioned that he had to object to the filming of already-recorded songs. He faced this kind of problem only twice in his five-decade long career.

suryaprakash garu,

Telugu cini charitralo okasari record ayina song taruvata shoot chesetappudu bagaledu anipinchi daanni veroka singer to paadinchina ghattam modatasariga jarigindi 1948 lo. Modata paadina singerku taruvata paadina singerku aa paatatho oka avinabhava sambandham erpadi, okaru maraninchedaka niraatankanga saagindi.

Vaaru evaro telusa- Akkineni and Ghantasala and aa paata
Balaraju lo cheliya kanarava.

Modataga akkineni gonthuto record ayyi pidapa ghantasalatho record chesi vidudala chesaru.

Kishor
Suryaprakash Mothiki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Surya and Srini:

I believe that Surya is right. Yes, I remember it now. It is P.Leela who recommended the name of S.Janaki to S.M. Subbhaih Naidu to render this great composition.

This site has highly dedicated people like Surya, Nandakishor, Srini, Santharam, Sunson to name a few. I am really thrilled to read Surya’s attempts to explain the attributes of our ragas with examples in Telugu script. How wonderful! Nandakishor has such an extensive exposure on Telugu, Hindi, Tamil, and Kannada songs and their composers! His encounter with Manna Dey made him write at length on circumstances that inspired a great composition like “Preyasi Manohari…” from Ghantasala. Who could compete with Santharam who is committed to make this site rich with his regular uploads of songs commencing from the days of Kannamba’s Mugguru Maraateelu? Sunson could elucidate on the literary beauties in songs like “Chuttoo Chengavi Cheera” from Thoorpu Kelle Railu and “Gaalikeduru ledu” from Idi Katha Kaadu. I would love to be a part of your team whenever I find something to contribute. I hope we are all building a good database for all music loving folks.
NANDAKISHOR K

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This site has highly dedicated people like Surya, , Srini, Santharam, Sunson to name a few. I am really thrilled to read Surya’s attempts to explain the attributes of our ragas with examples in Telugu script. How wonderful! Who could compete with Santharam who is committed to make this site rich with his regular uploads of songs commencing from the days of Kannamba’s Mugguru Maraateelu? Sunson could elucidate on the literary beauties in songs like “Chuttoo Chengavi Cheera” from Thoorpu Kelle Railu and “Gaalikeduru ledu” from Idi Katha Kaadu. I would love to be a part of your team whenever I find something to contribute. I hope we are all building a good database for all music loving folks.

Thanks suryaprakash garu for ur nice words about our pillars.

We definitely welcome you to our board.

Entho anuragamtho, aapyayatha tho penavesukonna maa paatala pandiri ku swagatam.

One specific reason which made us stick together in this board for a very long time is we have strictly omitted using abusive language, strictly sticking to the catch word of vijayachitra "{unna manchine chebutam unna chedunu cheppam".

We avoid using any words which would degrade any other person. We do comparing and contrasting but always in a positive note.

Yes one more kudos from my side for Surya and Santaram for bringing up those hidden jewels (agadhamau jalanidhilo aanimuthyamunnatule sodhinchi saadhinchali anna type lo they are doing a herculean task)

Ika srini gurinchi nenu cheppadam munjeti kankanaki addam choopinatle

kishor[/quote]
schimata2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof Rao gAru..

Very pleased to see your encouraging words on our team..

We will be really happy to see your active participation with some nostalgic articles on the old movies/songs.

Pl. let us know if you already have any such ideas on your mind.

Cheers,
Srini
Suryaprakash Mothiki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Srini:

We are all birds of the same flock. I love to write on music. I do not have any plans to write on a regular basis. Articles that evolve out of nostalgia make interesting reading. I would certainly try to work on topics that fit into the vision of our site.
hanuman
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surya wrote:

Many leading Heroes and Heroines had a big say in the production of their films that deprived or delayed many talented artists from being successful.

According to S.Janaki, one of her best songs 'nee leela padeda deva...' from Muripinche muvvalu was refused by Savitri, the heroine of that film. She wanted the song to be re-recorded with another singer for her to act that song. Music director SM Subbhaih Naidu blatantly opposed that and finally the song was picturised on another artist.

Probably if the respective leading artists had appreciated the efforts of the singers and sportively acted in those songs, the career graphs of those singers would definitely have been different!

Hmm. Interesting because S. Janaki sang the Tamil original as well and it was picturized on Savithri alright there. I wonder why Savithri would object to this for the Telugu version. Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDRgGpEwSYw&feature=related
Surya
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanuman wrote:
Surya wrote:

Hmm. Interesting because S. Janaki sang the Tamil original as well and it was picturized on Savithri alright there. I wonder why Savithri would object to this for the Telugu version. Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDRgGpEwSYw&feature=related

I have gone through the article again. I understand Savitri had finally agreed to act after Subbaya Naidu told her that he would get the song picturised on Kamala Bhai, the supporting actress in that film!

Apologies for my misinformation and thanks Hanuman for correcting me!
Suryaprakash Mothiki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be an interesting background to the S. Janaki’s masterpiece considered to be her lifetime achievement by most of her fans. “Nee Leela Padeda Deva.”. I found the following write-up on the Internet about its Tamil version "Singara Velane Deva" at the following link. I reproduce it verbatim without any of my comments.

http://www.tfmpage.com/my/mani/sing.html

There is an interesting background to "Singara Velane Deva" to be recorded for posterity. Sambamurhty Achariyar had composed tunes for the Devaram songs using the nadaswaram of Karukurichi Aarunasalam. But did not have financial means to publishe them in a book form. Actor Sagasranamam came forward to finance the publishing. When M.V. Raman produced the Konjum Salangai, he used S.M.Subbiah Naidu as the MD and Karukurichi Arunasalam as the Nadaswaram Vidvan. It was suggested to the producer to use the ready made tune of Sambamurthy Achariyar in the film for some devotional scenes. The producer agreed. The tune used was the following song of Thirugnanasambanthar:

"Manthiramavathu Neeru Vaanavar Melathu Neeru
Suntharamavathu Neeru Thuthikkap Paduvathu Neeru.."

The tune for the above song was played by Karukurichiyar and recorded. Then he went away Then another suggestion was thrown in. How about getting a female singer to accompany the song by performing the song vocally? Agreed by the producer and names of P.Suseela, P.Leela and S.Janagi were forwarded. Janagi's voice was said to be closer to Nadaswaram. So she was selected. Next- to sing Manthiramavathu Neeru or some other song with the same tune? A new song has to be composed as the situation does not warrant Manthiramaavathu Neeru. Ku.Ma. Balasubramanaiam was called in. He heard the tune of Manthiramavathu Neeru and composed Singaravelane Deva. Then Janagi heard the tune of Krukurichiaar in the tape recorder and sang the song bu KuMa Balasubramaniam. Her song was recorded in the absence of Karukurichiyaar. Another idea was thrown in-How about editing the song in such a way that both the nadaswaram instrumental and Janagi's vocal appear in the same piece? Agreed. The sound engineer was called in offered the challenge. He took both the separate pieces and very very carefully cut physically and pasted them into one. That is what we hear today- Doesn't it sound though both Karukurichi Arunasalam and J.Janagi were ther on the spot to record the song? Thus way back in the 1950s such attempt had been made and achieved. Today's multitrack recording may do wonders. But this song of Konjum Salangai is still pioneer. Janagi will be remembered for this song for posterity, the film is remeembered for this song for posterity. Gemini Ganesan is remembered and imitated in many films and stage shows" Shanta, Utkar. Yen Paattai Niruthivittai? Un Iai Ennum Inba Vellathiley Neenthuvatharku Ododi Vantha Ennai Ematrathey Santha....Thenodu Kalantha Thellamutham... Kola Nilavodu Serntha Ilanthendral. Intha Singara Velanin Sannathiyil Nam Sangeetha Aruvigal Onru Kalakkattum... Paadu.. Paadu Shantha... Paadu" Just to share with you one of those intersting info that I have.
schimata2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Prof Surya gAru for sharing this article with us.

Cheers,
Srini
Lindsijutty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get what you mean by "not a good songwriter" is it because he makes allegedly grammar mistakes? XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Elizavetta92Den

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Приве& Reply with quote

Не могу отписать в лс
Servicetdm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Two “inappropriate” songs in ANR&#82 Reply with quote

I accidentally deleted it not knowing what I was doing while trying to get it out of his hand....is there a way to get this relationship back?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ChimataMusic DB Forum Index -> Actors, Producers and Directors All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: